Your partner in real estate training since 1974
RealEstateSchoolWire - Rockwell Institute's Official Blog

So you want to get a California Real Estate Broker’s License…

We think getting your California real estate broker's license is a great idea. But if you're not sure where to begin, we're here to help.

Of course, since this is Rockwell's first blog post, we should probably introduce ourselves first and explain why we're here. We've been a real estate school and textbook publisher since 1974, and we've trained thousands of real estate students in Washington and California. We've learned a lot over the years about getting a real estate license and studying for license exams, and we get news about the latest changes in real estate laws and regulations. So we'll let our writers and instructors share some of their wisdom and pass on the answers to some of our common student questions. (We may also complain about the weather here in western Washington! We're just warning you of that now.)

But let's get back to the important stuff. So you want to get your California real estate broker's license? Well, here's how it works: To qualify for a real estate broker's license, you must have two years of experience as a full-time real estate salesperson (within the last five years). You also have to complete eight courses. You can choose from the following courses offered by Rockwell:

CA Broker BooksThese five required courses:

  • Real Estate Practice
  • Real Estate Appraisal
  • Legal Aspects of Real Estate
  • Real Estate Financing
  • Real Estate Economics

Plus these three elective courses:

  • Advanced Legal Aspects of Real Estate
  • Real Estate Principles
  • Property Management

That's a lot of courses, and you probably have some questions. Here are two questions we hear a lot:

1) Why is Principles required for a broker's license? I already took that course to get my salesperson license.

Answer: If you took Principles and Practice and one of the other courses listed above to get your salesperson license, you don't need to take them again. You just need to take the other five classes. The only time someone has to take all eight classes is if he got his salesperson's or broker's license in another state and now wants to get a California real estate broker's license.

2) If I take the broker courses now, how soon do I have to apply for my broker's license?

Answer:Answer: The courses required for a real estate license are called "statutory courses" in California, and the good news is that they never expire. You could take these courses now, and apply for your broker's license next month, next year, or ten years from now. Amazing!

School Administrator If you have other questions about getting a California real estate broker's license, please call Bopa at (800) 221-9347. She's our school administrator, and she'd love to tell you how to get your broker's license.

And if you're planning on taking the California real estate broker exam (or any other type of license exam), you should check out our test-taking tips on YouTube!